Welcome to Ms. Croy’s Third Grade!
Religion: We are learning about the life and teachings of Jesus, the seasons of the Church year, and the Advent season. We will be having an Advent Reconciliation Service on Friday, December 7th.
Math: In math we will be working on place value, rounding, and addition and subtraction of larger numbers. We will have timed tests to help with addition and subtraction fact fluency.
Reading: We are reading stories from our third-grade reading series Journeys. With each story we will focus on comprehension skills, vocabulary, fluency, character development, setting, plot, cause and effect, and identifying main ideas and details.
Language Arts: We are focusing on writing complete sentences with detail and proper punctuation. We will also be working on writing paragraphs with a topic sentence, supporting details, and a conclusion. In grammar we will be learning common and proper nouns and plural nouns and adjectives.
Science: We will be learning about different ecosystems and how plants and animals are adapted to living in their unique environments.
Social Studies: We will be learning about the geography of Oregon , including its landforms, bodies of water, and regions. As part of this unit we will be creating a salt-dough map of Oregon.
Service Learning Project
This year our service learning project is to help Northwest Pilot Project (NWPP). NWPP helps low income senior citizens find and keep affordable housing in downtown Portland. We will be helping the organization by collecting much needed items such as kitchen and bath towels, hygiene supplies and socks. We also make valentine and spring cards for the seniors. Our service helps the clients of NWPP to feel special and to know someone is thinking of them. You can find information about NWPP on their website www.nwpilotproject.org.
* Nov. 9 ~ Report Cards go home and 11:30 Early Dismissal
*Nov. 12 ~ No School, Veterans’ Day
* Nov. 13-14 ~ No School-Conferences
* Nov. 21~ Early Dismissal 11:30
* Nov. 22-23 ~ Happy Thanksgiving
* Nov. 27 ~ Free Dress Day for $1
* Dec. 7 ~ Student Council Movie Night
* Dec. 7 ~ Advent Reconciliation Service
* Dec. 17 ~ Christmas Program
* Dec. 18 ~ Free Dress for $1
* Dec. 21 ~ 3rd Gr. Christmas Party/ Christmas Special Dress and Early Dismissal 11:30
* Dec. 24-Jan. 4 ~ Christmas Break
* Jan. 7, 2019 ~ School Resumes