My name is Anne Storm and I am excited to be teaching first grade at Valley Catholic Elementary School! I am currently in my nineteenth year of teaching and my third year at Valley Catholic. Elementary Education has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I received my undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Portland and have been involved in the Catholic School system my entire career. I live in Beaverton with my husband and two children. I am blessed to work with the wonderful families that make up the Valley Catholic Community!
Here is a snapshot of what we are currently focusing on in first grade:
- Religion God’s love continues to be the common thread to our Religion lessons. Currently students are learning about God’s love as revealed in the Lenten season. Students are being challenged to grow in God’s love through prayer, fasting, and performing service for others. The Trinity is another topic of study. The Second Step component of our learning continues with reinforcement of ways to manage strong feelings and beginning to look at problem solving skills.
- Math First grade is working on measurement skills in March.
- Language Arts The Journeys Reading series has first grade busy working on the comprehension skills of Main Idea and Supporting Details, Understanding Characters, Author’s Purpose and Story Structure. High frequency words continue to be practiced. Students continue to work with Informative writing in Writing and will be shifted to opinion writing for the fourth quarter. Handwriting skills continue to be practiced as students review the letters of the alphabet. Proper nouns, compound sentences, and the concept of verb tense are being explored in Grammar. Beginning spelling skills are being practiced as well.
- Science First grade is wrapping up their study of space and looking forward to learning about chicks in the near future!
- Social Studies First grade is learning about geography skills and will celebrate their learning by sending homemade Flat Stanleys out into the world. The Stanleys will return to the students in the coming months to help the class learn about life in other parts of our country and world.
- Art First grade is working on seasonal art, such as making shamrocks. They will soon begin working on Easter gifts for their parents.
“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” – St. Teresa of Calcutta