My name is Anne Storm and I am excited to be teaching first grade at Valley Catholic Elementary School! I am currently in my eighteenth year of teaching and my second year at Valley Catholic. Elementary Education has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I received my undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Portland and have been involved in the Catholic School system my entire career. I live in Beaverton with my husband and two children. I am blessed to work with the wonderful families that make up the Valley Catholic Community! Here is a snapshot of what we focus on in first grade:
- Religion The Second Step Child Protection unit is wrapping up with a review of the safety steps and how to handle when others break safety rules.
- Math First grade is working on two digit addition and subtraction skills.
- Language Arts The Journeys Reading series has first grade busy working on the comprehension skills of Compare & Contrast, Main Idea & Supporting Details, Author’s Purpose, Sequence of Events and Understanding Characters. Students continue to explore different genres of texts. Opinion writing continues to be practiced in Writing. Handwriting skills are being practiced as students review the letters of the alphabet.
- Science First grade is learning about Natural Resources and how to care for them.
- Social Studies First grade has been learning about goods and services. They are also working their way through an end of the year post-assessment of the various Social Studies skills taught this year.
- Art The students are working on Father’s Day artwork to surprise their dads!
Love is celebration. Love is joy. Love is moving forward. ~ Pope Francis