My name is Anne Storm and I am excited to be teaching first grade at Valley Catholic Elementary School! I am currently in my nineteenth year of teaching and my third year at Valley Catholic. Elementary Education has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I received my undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Portland and have been involved in the Catholic School system my entire career. I live in Beaverton with my husband and two children. I am blessed to work with the wonderful families that make up the Valley Catholic Community!
Here is a snapshot of what we are currently focusing on in first grade:
- Religion God’s love continues to be the common thread to our Religion lessons. Students have been reflecting on various Bible stories (such as the Sunday gospel readings and the Old Testament account of Noah) to learn more about God’s great love. In October students celebrated the month of the rosary through making their own Missionary Rosaries. They also learned about Mary and the saints as the Church celebrates All Saints Day. All Souls Day is being connected to “El dia de los muertos,” a traditional Mexican holiday when people celebrate the lives of their loved ones who have died. Finally, the Second Step part of the curriculum continues with lessons about feelings and empathy.
- Math First grade is working on addition and subtraction skills. Fact families have been introduced and practiced. Problem Solving skills are a focus as well.
- Language Arts The Journeys Reading series has first grade busy working on the comprehension skills of Main Idea and Supporting Details, Understanding Characters, Author’s Purpose and Story Structure. High frequency words continue to be practiced. Students are shifting to Informative writing in Writing. Handwriting skills continue to be practiced as students review the letters of the alphabet. Nouns, verbs and adjectives are being explored in Grammar, as is the concept of a complete sentence. Beginning spelling skills are being practiced.
- Science First grade wrapped up their study about light and sound. Up next: Animal Habitats!
- Social Studies First grade has been learning about various aspects of a community, such as leaders. They will learn about the story of the first Thanksgiving and celebrate by having an upcoming Thanksgiving play!
- Art The elements of color and line were explored, Students made water color pumpkins, Native American tee pees, and owls with their 3rd grade buddies. They also participated in an Art Literacy lesson where their learned about cave art! Coming soon: Thanksgiving and Christmas themed art!
“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” – St. Teresa of Calcutta