My name is Anne Storm and I am excited to be teaching first grade at Valley Catholic Elementary School! I am currently in my eighteenth year of teaching and my second year at Valley Catholic. Elementary Education has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I received my undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Portland and have been involved in the Catholic School system my entire career. I live in Beaverton with my husband and two children. I am blessed to work with the wonderful families that make up the Valley Catholic Community! Here is a snapshot of what we focus on in first grade:
- Religion 1S is preparing to host our school Mass on March 7th! We are excited to lead the school as Faith Witnesses and Effective Communicators. Lent will be the focus in the coming weeks leading up to Mass. The Second Step curriculum continues with lessons about emotion management.
- Math First grade has been working hard on their beginning money skills. They will lead into learning about time at the end of the month.
- Language Arts The Journeys Reading series has first grade busy working on the comprehension skills of Compare & Contrast, Main Idea & Supporting Details and Author’s Purpose. Students are exploring different genres of texts. Opinion writing is being introduced in Writing. Handwriting skills are being practiced as students review the letters of the alphabet. The new Sitton Spelling program continues with leveled Spelling lists. Proper nouns and the convention skills of capitalization and punctuation are being reviewed in English/Grammar. Students will also be working with the concepts of compound sentences, prepositions and future tense.
- Science Space is the focus right now.
- Social Studies First grade is excited to celebrate the 100th day of school on Friday, February 23rd! They are wrapping up their study of Tall Tales and will be moving into map skills soon.
- Art The students learned about Monet in the most recent Art Lit class.
And now three remain: Faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13